07 June 2009

Another Dejected Word - Dingle

Yes.

Poor dingle. Poor, sad, decrepit dingle. It never had a chance. Well, I suppose at one time it did...

And no, you silly human, dingle is not that but rather a deep, wooded valley. Yep. I kid you not.

You don't believe me? Fine.
"deep dell or hollow, usually wooded," c.1240, of unknown origin; a dialectal word until it entered literary use 17c. - Online Etymology Dictionary, 2009.
So yeah, there it is. Go forth, be fruitful, and multiply its usage. Because hey, if I hadn't been used since oh, the 17th century or so, I'd be a little sad and lonely.

My proposal for usage?

GO TO A DINGLE YOU DINGLEBERRY!

Yes, I am beaming with a radiant glow right now. Envious, much?

Author's note: as of yet, the word "dingleberry" is neither in the dictionary under literary/archaic words nor common words. I will work on this immediately!

No comments: